Tuesday, April 07, 2015

'The Jews are making the flies fly sideways'

Natalie Nougareyde of The Guardian has conducted an interesting inquiry into the impact of antisemitism on Jews in Europe. Here are just two case studies, from Turkey and Italy. The Turkish-Jewish community is probably the worst affected of all. According to this report, some 30 percent of Sephardi applicants to be fast-tracked for Spanish nationality are Turkish Jews.

Karen ┼×arhon, 56, Istanbul, linguist and academic who founded Turkey’s first Sephardic music group





'I’m not very optimistic about the future of this community': Karen Gerson Sarhon.

‘I’m not very optimistic about the future of this community’: Karen Gerson Sarhon. Photograph: Holly Pickett/Observer
The atmosphere for Jews in Turkey is very negative. Every day you see right-wing newspapers writing lots of bullshit. “The flies are flying sideways – it’s because of the Jews”, that sort of thing. People ask about my name – Karen is not a Turkish name – so I say I’m Jewish and they say: “Oh – you don’t look Jewish.” My husband, who’s in the business world, has experienced more antisemitism than me. After Gaza [last summer], he sold some beauty salon machines and the first question was: “Where do they come from? If they come from Israel we won’t buy them.”

Animosity on social media is growing as people are being fed lies all the time by the media – especially by fundamentalist writers and preachers, who say we are the cursed people. Most of the Jewish community’s budget is spent on security, because we have to have guards and metal detectors everywhere – at synagogues, the Jewish museum, the Jewish school. It didn’t used to be like that 20 years ago, but it’s becoming worse, with the prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, criticising Israel so openly. The government kindles the animosity. Erdogan is always talking about Israel and not distinguishing between the Jews in Israel and the Jews here. You always ask yourself: “What are they going to do?” It’s in our genes to ask: “Are we going to be kicked out?”

Unless the political situation changes, I’m not very optimistic about the future of this community. If things get worse, people will have no choice but to leave. I say if – at the moment we’re not there yet. It’s very difficult to leave a country you were born and raised in. We love this country. It’s a beautiful country and the people who have not been brainwashed are very nice, but the political situation is not very pleasant.

Roger Abravanel, 68, Milan, retired management consultant and author who grew up in Libya





Roger Abravanel

‘After Gaddafi came to power, my family fled, losing everything. I’ve been lucky in Italy’: Roger Abravanel. Photograph: Mattia Balsamini/Luz
When I hear about antisemitic incidents, I get the same feeling that I had in Libya, where I grew up. My father, who started out a poor man, made a fortune. He was the only Jew invited to sit alongside the king. There had always been antisemitism in Libya, but it exploded with Israel’s independence and its wars. You can’t imagine how often I was discriminated against. As a kid going to school, I was beaten up. I’d never been to Israel, I had a Libyan passport, and here were these guys coming at me just because I was a Jew.

When I was 16, my father said: “This is no place for you”, and I went to study in Milan. After Gaddafi came to power, my family fled. My sister was smuggled to the airport in the boot of a car. We lost everything. In my book, Meritocrazia [Meritocracy], I thanked Gaddafi – because of him I had to achieve everything by myself. I’ve been lucky in Italy, others less so. A million Jews were kicked out of Arab countries – a little-mentioned exodus. I fear this may be happening again, but in Europe, where Muslim antisemitism has added to traditional European antisemitism.

I’m an Italian. I love this country. I owe it a lot, and I’ve always tried to give back – I did military service, which I could have avoided; I’ve paid a lot in Italian taxes, and I’m currently working pro bono for the government. I’m a great supporter of the national soccer team, and of Juventus. I have personally never encountered serious antisemitism among Italians. Well, maybe something like: “You guys” – meaning Jews – “are better at handling money.” But prejudices exist, mostly among less-educated people. One Italian in four says they wouldn’t like to dine with a Jew.

Read article in full

3 comments:

Empress Trudy said...

The fact that the source article comes from al Guardian leads me to believe the editors were snickering with delight and glee. I read today that Herman Goering's uniform is going up for auction in London. al Guardian should buy it and put it in their lobby.

Anonymous said...

Latest news from Italy is of Jewish volunteer combatants from WW II being compelled to withdraw from a march commemorating the defeat of fascism by Palestinian and Communist "activists".

Meanwhile, Bassem Eid, a bona fide Palestinian human rights activist posted the following on his Facebook page: http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/syrian-refugee-speaks-in-jerusalem-describes-life-across-israels-northern-border/2015/03/13/

Eliyahu m'Tsiyon said...

a few years ago in Rome I went to an exhibition on the role of the Jewish Brigades during WW2. This was at a small museum called La Casa della Memoria. They treated the subject in a very respectful way. Of course Arabs and the more extreme and fanatic wing of the old Italian Communist Party, La Rifondazione Comunista, are very hostile and you can see this in their daily paper, Il Manifesto.

But on the whole, I would say that Jews in Rome and Florence are much more relaxed than in Paris and feel less threatened, albeit there are cops and/or special troops [gli Alpini] stationed in front of synagogues. So the Jews there are aware of the dangerous situation but Rome is paradise compared to Paris nowadays.