Friday, January 17, 2014

Farhud survivors may get Shoah reparations

 Professor Shmuel Moreh

 A lawyer specialising in gaining compensation for Shoah (Holocaust) victims will address a meeting of Iraqi victims of the 1941 Farhud and their relatives living in Israel.

David Yadid will explain how victims might go about getting their claims met by the Israeli government. If successful they could expect to receive a monthly stipend of 1, 850 shekels, plus benefits and rights. The money would come from German Holocaust reparations.

However, the potential beneficiaries are limited to those born not later than March 1942 and who arrived in Israel not later than 1 October 1953.  Survivors of the Farhud who reached Israel in the 1970s, for instance, are excluded.

The meeting, to coincide with International Holocaust Memorial Day in January, has been called by Professor Shmuel Moreh on behalf of the Israeli Association of Jewish Academics from Iraq.

It is the latest attempt to have the Farhud recognised as a Nazi event, part and parcel of the final solution to the Jewish question.

Nazi representatives, and pro-Nazi elements in the Iraqi government, police and army, Professor Moreh maintains, instigated and planned the Farhud. For two days on 1 and 2 June 1941, an armed mob went on the rampage, targeting Jewish residents of Baghdad and other cities.  Although some argue that the figures were much higher,  180 Jews were murdered, thousands were injured, Jewish women raped and Jewish property looted and burnt.  

Many years later, the Iraqi government did provide (inadequate) compensation for property damage.

The great Farhud cover-up


Anonymous said...

don't you think it's a bit too easy: shauter people and then pay compensations.
Still it's better than nothing!

Eliyahu m'Tsiyon said...

this is important. It is wrong morally and on the grounds of historical integrity for some to pretend that the Farhud was not part of the Holocaust because it happened outside of Europe.

Steve Acre said...

At last, we are being recognized. How do we register? We live in Canada