Monday, January 01, 2007

Iran on my mind, by Farideh Goldin

Iranian-Jewish writer Farideh Goldin wonders if she will ever be able to visit her birthplace. Eloquent extracts from the Jewish Quarterly, Winter 2006 issue (subscription required):

"Visiting Iran for the last time in the summer of 1976, I vowed never to return. But during the past few years, the temptation slowly crept into me, like a long-abandoned addiction. (...)

"My husband has never visited the country of my birth. We had planned to spend a year in Iran after he finished his medical internship. But as Iran gave into chaos we instead rushed to help my parents and four siblings into the safety of any country that would accept them.

"The year was 1979. America had withdrawn its support of the king, and the Shah of Iran abandoned his country. During the months before the revolution, anarchy ruled. My family members were virtual prisoners at home. The older siblings could not attend school. My father was the only one who would leave to buy provisions and find out the news not broadcast on the radio.

"The entire Jewish community feared a mass attack by young angry crowds, carrying the American-made weapons of the Shah's military. Funeral processions of martyrs passed by our house daily. When my family heard chants of 'Allah O Akbar, Death to America, Down with the Shah,' they trembled. As the procession neared our home, men banged on the doors with their fists and threw rocks at the windows. "Come out, dirty Jews. You are next!"they shouted.

"That winter, the revolutionaries attacked the Baha'i neighbourhood. They promised that the Jewish community would soon follow. During one of his excursions to the ghetto, my father found out about El-Al planes landing in Mehrabad airport in Tehran to evacuate as many Iranian Jews as possible. So in an aircraft jammed with frightened and crying Jews, my family left their ancestral home.

"The medical conference in Mashad seemed to be my best chance to introduce my husband to my first homeland. I made the decision to go with much trepidation, however. I am a woman; I am Jewish; I am a writer; each category subjected me to discrimination and suspicion.

"That was 21 October 2005. Barely a week later, Iran was in the headlines. Its president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, called for the destruction of the state of Israel: every man, woman and child; artist, farmer scientist, grocer; the young girl whose parents walked from Yemen; my friend who was carried out of Syria in her father's arms, screaming from hunger; the young man from Ethiopia who left everything behind; Israeli Arabs - and yes, my mother, father and sister too. What are they to this fanatic leader but a small price to pay on the road to heavenly redemption? (...)

"How could I go back to Iran? I mourn for my parents' loss of dignity, for all the Iranian Jewish refugees still numb with the political earthquake that tumbled their lives. The hands of evil are strong and long, seeking them still - not with daggers and clubs, as when my parents and grandparents lived in the dark ghettos of Iran, when Jew-haters, encouraged by fanatical mullahs, rampaged through their meagre belongings - but now with missiles and atomic bombs.

And the world looks on and merely shakes its head in dismay."

Read article in full

1 comment:

Albert said...

Jewish Iranian rep favors Iran's nuke program:

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/default.aspx?tabid=178&nid=10958